The objective of this first lesson is to install Photoshop CS5 on your computer and familiarize yourself with the Photoshop Tools and Panels.
One of the tools you’ll practice with in this lesson is the Photoshop brush tool. At the conclusion of the lesson we’ll ask you to “paint” your name onto a name tag and introduce yourself to the class on the Class Blog.
Tip: Get to know the keyboard shortcuts in your text on page 40 – they are a huge timesaver! Every time you learn a new tool, also learn the keyboard shortcut.
- Classroom in a Book: Getting Started
- Using Adobe Photoshop CS5: page 403-405 from 14: Saving and exporting files
- Attribution, Copyright & Legal Use
Install: Photoshop CS5 on your computer.
Complete: Classroom in a Book Lesson 1, Getting to Know the Work Area.
Class Participation (50 points):
- Join the Class Blog It’s important that you familiarize yourself with posting images and text to the Class Blog. If you haven’t already joined the blog, please click the link above for information and instructions. If you did not receive an email from the class blog with log in information, please let me know.
- Set up your Gravitar. Instructions are here.
Introduction Assignment (50 points)
- Right-Click on this link nametag.jpg to save the file to your computer.
- Open the file in Photoshop (File > Open).
- Select the brush tool and “paint” your first name on the name tag.
- Decorate your name tag however you like, using any of Photoshop’s tools.
- Save your file as a .jpg.
When you’re a blog member, post your name tag .jpg file. Then introduce yourself to the class with a paragraph or two. Let us know such things as: where you are, what kind of hardware you have (such as camera or scanner, computer, etc.) and what you’re planning to do with your new Photoshop skills. I’ve posted an example of the nametag and my introduction on the blog, so please take a look to get an idea of how your posts should appear.
To view your post on the Class Blog, click on ‘view post’ after you click ‘publish’.
Copy the URL of your introduction on the blog and paste it into this assignment link (click on title ‘Introduction Assignment’).